Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Hud and its sisters

Month, Day: 175, Light, Names (Justice)

Fifty years ago, the recommendation was Rodwell's translation, or Sale's. I picked the former first. Later, I got the latter. I have gone through the former several times. Of late, I picked it up again in order to be a little more thorough. Say, looking at footnotes.

It is nice to see that there is an on-line copy, via archive[.]org (support them).
    https://archive.org/stream/TheKoranTranslatedByRodwell/Quran-Rodwell#page/n0/mode/2up

Frankly, I do not read in the normal sense. I pick up a book and just randomly choose a page. That mode is what Arthur Koestler talked about in terms of the 'library angel' (opening doors). Today, I opened at Hud which has been one of several favorites (Mary is another). And, I saw this footnote related to sister Surahs. Had not seen that before.

Well, too, I noted my notes, many pointing back to references to this text from the Writings, especially 7V4V. So, sisters? Rodwell had two. Then, I see that some have more sisters. One example (https://muslimmatters.org/2017/08/25/surah-hud-has-made-me-grow-old/).

But backing up. These links help step the stage for going forward.  We are dealing with translations, so nuances abound.
On Hud and its sisters:
Looks like some fun will be ahead.

Remarks: Modified: 06/13/2018

06/13/2018 -- 


No comments: